Our Finance Department is committed to facilitating the achievement of the Company's objectives by providing exceptional financial and administrative expertise and service to our clients.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this position will be based as a telecommuter for the foreseeable future. Only when Abt reopens offices to all employees will there be an expectation that new hires return to the geographical office to which they were hired.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Project Finance Analyst to support the Project Finance team at our office in either Cambridge, MA, or Rockville, MD.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work alongside Project Managers/Project Directors (PM/PD) in the division in support of managing the financial and contractual elements of the project(s)
- Collaborate with other department/functional support areas including Contracts and Procurement, HR, corporate/division finance and pricing
- Strong communication skills with respect to breaking down and explaining financial risks/implications of project management decisions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing work environment
Financial Management & Reporting :
- Collaborate with PDs to build appropriate work breakdown structure to comply with client requirements and allow for accurate time charging and financial projections
- Develop budgets for project teams that align to contractual requirements, proposal and project WBS; Work with PM/PD to adjust as appropriate
- Reviewing, validating and reporting project actual costs incurred for labor, expense and travel
- Document and submit information in support of accruals for work performed but not yet invoiced in accordance with company policies
- Work with Project Team to collect bottom up financial forecasts/Estimate to complete and enter into Project Financial Management Tool
- Review trends to assess accuracy of the financial forecast and work with project team to remediate any issues
- Responsible for accuracy in financial reporting for cost, revenue and profitability internally to the division and finance department, as well as externally to the client(s) in accordance with contractual obligations
- Conduct financial risk analysis considering contract type, subcontracts/materials, staffing, and other measures as appropriate. Report financial risks to the business up to PM/PD, Operations Directors and Program Finance
- Comply with company, client, local and other legal requirements and regulations
- Track the progress of any activity with financial implications such as milestones with progress payments or ties to fee
- Prepare and manage project specific deliverables related to financial or contractual requirements (such as invoicing, supporting back-up data, limitation of funds communications, etc.)
- Liaise with client counterpart when requested by project manager/director with questions specific to financials
- Work with Accounts Receivable to review invoices and expedite PD review in order to maintain cash flow for Abt; Work with AR and Client to resolve any issues with regard to payments (short pays, etc.); Work with PD to minimize controllable non-billed amounts
Subcontract/Expenditure Oversight :
- Initiate purchase requisitions in Oracle in support of project services and material purchase needs
- Work with Procurement team to review supplier, subcontract and consultant agreements to monitor funding and understand the agreement types in relation to the prime contract obligations
- Review subcontractor/supplier/consultant invoices for accuracy, validate subcontractor/supplier/consultant spending is in alignment with expected forecasts, funding, and commitments Work with AP to ensure invoices are routed, reviewed and approved in a timely manner
New Business Capture :
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Support division's new business proposals to substantiate basis of estimates in support of level of effort developed by team. Reviewing price by labor category to ensure profitability targets can be met. Review revenue projections for realism based on complexity of staffing, subcontracted and purchased elements
- Validate follow-on work is being bid properly, is executable and in alignment with company expectations based on past performance and knowledge of financial risks and assumptions
- Experience with Oracle and TM1 based systems preferred
- Skilled with excel for data manipulation and analysis such as pivot tables, lookups, etc.
- Experience managing the financials for fixed unit price contracts (such as call center, survey, transaction-based efforts)
- Experience with T&M, FFP, Cost Plus contract financial management
- Experience supporting and balancing the needs of multiple contracts at once
- Financial management experience on government contracts (including non-DoD federal agencies as well as state and/or local governments)
- BA/BS in finance, economics or related field with 3 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.