The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance-as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a Lead Technical Writer to support continued growth in its International Development Division. The Lead Writer, in partnership with the Proposal Lead, leads the writing of high quality, compliant proposals submitted to federal government and other clients.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Serves as lead writer on capture and proposal efforts for USAID and other donors in areas including as economic growth, governance, agriculture, environment, and health
- Develops key proposal products including annotated outlines, executive summaries, technical approach sections, and material to support oral presentations
- Serves in other proposal writing roles including weaving text from different writers, writing proposal sections (executive summary, management, strategic approaches, past performance, etc.)
- Participates in proposal strategy, design, writing, and review sessions with business development and technical teams throughout the life of the proposal
- Edits technical proposals, focusing on improving readability by shortening sentences, eliminating redundancies, rearranging sentences to improve transitions, and clarifying exhibits and references
- Provides training and mentoring to build the capacity of International Development Division staff in the areas of technical writing
- Develops capability statements and other business development or marketing related documents drawing from existing materials
- Be available to support non-proposal writing/editing tasks (including reports, marketing pieces, success stories, expressions of interest, country reports/briefing books, project reports, and others), as required (approximately 10% time)
- Knowledge of the international development industry and donors, specifically USAID
- Experience writing winning technical proposals in the field of international development, with preference given to one or more of the following: economic growth and trade, agriculture and food security, environment, international health, innovative finance, research and evaluation, and resilience
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Knowledgeable in using/adhering to GPO, APA, and/or Chicago style manuals
- Ability to work autonomously and in team environment under critical deadline pressures
- High level of proficiency in MS Office applications
- Strong organizational skills that demonstrate a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Writing and/or editing sample will be required
- Master's degree in English, Journalism, or Marketing
- Bachelor with 10 - 12 years of relevant experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.